5/23/16

things I want my kids to know about high school

things I want my kids to know about high school

If you love someone let them know.

Always reach out. It may feel uncomfortable, but you never know when somebody needs you. If you see someone that is alone, or you think just needs a friend, be that friend.

Be genuine. If you care about someone, they should be able to tell through your actions & the way you treat them. Treat them like Jesus would. He cares about everybody individually and you should too. They are all different.

If you don't care for someone, use that for fuel to find a way to appreciate them. Everybody is special and even though you might not be best friends, you can still get along.

Take your time to actually internalize what your teachers are telling you. Being knowledgable and a well rounded human being is better than sluffing off your classes and just getting enough of a grade to graduate.

Don't let anybody define you. You define yourself and love what you have to offer. There is nobody like you.

Wear what makes you comfortable. Nobody cares how many Alex & Ani bracelets you have. You don't have to dress for other people. Wear the sweats. Love the sweats. If you want to look like you're on fire, you damn right will look like Alicia Keys got hold of a blowtorch and some gasoline.

You will be remembered for how you influenced people. Not by material things/ if you played varsity/ who you kissed/ popularity. Make it count.

Make friends with the administration. I have found some of my best friends to be on the staff at LP. I know they genuinely care & love you. Plus, if you need to makeup attendance school/need to have something done, they will definitely help a sister out.

Teachers are not out to get you.

Popularity is dumb. Really really dumb. & nobody cares.

Apply for scholarships. (please)

Participate in as much as you can. Experiencing high school is so important. Go to games, plays, activities, assemblies, concerts, etc etc etc. & make sure you actively participate. even if it doesn't seem like your cup of tea. You might just surprise yourself. you will come to have so much more love for the school & it makes it easier to see how talented the students are around you.

Look to serve. Everybody needs a helping hand & if you can make someone's load a little lighter for the day, you have done something great.

6 comments:

  1. I love you so much it's crazy.

    Thank you for being kind

    Thank you for your comments

    Thank you for making crazy videos with me

    Thank you for making me feel good about myself.

    You are a blessing and you are a miracle:
    I miss you so much already

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this a lot. thank you for never holding back what you want to say. your candid honesty has always been inspiring to me. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practical.

    I remember you made a weird intro video in English 12. I remember liking you instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you love someone let them know."

    That is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love you so much Megan and i honestly don't know what to do with myself knowing i won't get to see almost everyday like i do. i already miss you so so much

    i love you and thank you for being so beautiful and kind and open and honest and caring and angelic and ultimately perfect

    you have changed my life for the better in so many ways and it fills my heart i'm not the only one and you're going to meet so many more people who will have the privilege to know you

    you are a blessing

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm reading this months later, but these are very important things and I'm glad you've written this. This is some good stuff.

    ReplyDelete